Co-Founder and Research Fellow
Johannesburg, South Africa
Jelena Vidojević is the founder of the New South Institute, together with Ivor Chipkin. Before moving to South Africa she worked as an Assistant Professor of Social Policy at the University of Belgrade – Faculty of Political Sciences, where she wrote and taught on comparative and global social policy. At GAPP she has continued her work on social policy, focusing on welfare reforms in South Africa with a special interest in the Universal Basic Income Grant. She is also responsible for expanding and developing the field of comparative public policy. In this regard her work focuses on the New South, bringing South African and African experiences into conversation with South America, Asia and more especially Eastern Europe. She received her PhD in Political Science from the University of Belgrade. She has been a visiting researcher at the University of Oslo (Department of Sociology and Human Geography), University of Cape Town (Department of Political Studies), University of Witwatersrand (School of Social Sciences) and The Institute of Advanced Studies, Vienna. She has twice won an Open Society Scholars Award.
- Vidojević, J. “Cash transfer programs in Southern Africa and the emergence of the new welfare states” in The Journal of Social Policy. (Forthcoming)
- Chipkin, I. Vidojevic, J. (2021). Time and Temporality in Organisations: the case of Eskom. Development Southern Africa, DOI: 10.1080/0376835X.2021.1981829.
- Vidojević, J. Chipkin, I. (2021). The Gendered Character of Welfare: reconsidering vulnerability and violence in South Africa. Social Dynamics, DOI: 10.1080/02533952.2021.1992878.
- Perišić, N. Vidojević, J. (2020). Conceptualizing Poverty In the Social Policy and Practice of Socialist Yugoslavia. Political Thought, vol 57, No. 3. pp. 150-173. (In Serbian)
- Vidojević, J. (2018). Nobel Peace Prize and Anti-Apartheid Struggle in South Africa: Building a Rainbow Nation. In: (eds.) Nakarada, R. Vidojević, J. Nobel Peace Prize: From Idealism to Political Cynicism. Belgrade: Centre for Peace Studies – University of Belgrade. pp. 107-145. (in Serbian)
- Perišić, N. Vidojević, J. (2018). Gender Mainstreaming: Challenges of the Concept and its Implementation in Social Policy. Yearbook of the Faculty of Political Sciences, year XII/19. pp. 29-53. (In Serbian)
- Peršić N. Vidojević, J. (2018). Feminist Deconstruction and Reconstruction of the Welfare State. in: Someone Said Feminism? Feminist theory in Serbia today. (eds.) Zaharijević, A. and Lončarević K. Belgrade: Institute for Philosophy and Social Theory and University of Belgrade – Faculty of Political Science. (In Serbian)
- Džuverović, N. Vidojević, J. (2017). Peacebuilding or “peacedelaying”: Social Exclusion of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons in Post-War Serbia. Ethnopolitics. pp. 55-70.
- (ed.) Nakarada, R. Vidojević, J. (2018). Nobel Peace Prize: From Idealism to Political Cynicism. Centre for Peace Studies – University of Belgrade. (in Serbian)
- Vidojević, J. “Welfare State in Serbia with special reference to the Role of Preventative Health Policy“ (book chapter) in Routledge Handbook on Welfare States. (Forthcoming)
- Vidojević, J. “South African welfare state and the prospects of Introducing a universal basic income grant” (book chapter) in the Routledge Handbook on Welfare States. (Forthcoming)
- Ivor Chipkin, Firoz Khan, Radmila Nakarada, Paul Stubbs, Jelena Vidojević. (2023). Theory from the Non-Aligned Movement and the Global South and their Afterlives. Jacana Publishing. (forthcoming).
- Chipkin, I. Vidojević, J. with Rau, L. Saksenberg, D. (2022). Dangerous Elites: Protest, Conflict and the Future of South Africa. Institute for Security Studies. Available at: https://issafrica.s3.amazonaws.com/site/uploads/sar-49-2.pd
- Jelena Vidojević and Radmila Nakarada in coversation with Pankaj Mishra: Life in a time of a global civil war. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-11-10-life-in-a-time-of-global-civil-war-in-conversation-with-pankaj-mishra/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&fbclid=IwAR1TKO9ddx39iLkBLoPmCl5y45sd_Axqp1NZwgJ06uHydPBe3pDXdmI8ebo
- Jelena Vidojević and Ivor Chipkin, Breaking Eskom’s Death Spiral: the answer is in the data. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-10-31-breaking-eskoms-death-spiral-the-answers-in-the-data/
- Ivor Chipkin and Jelena Vidojević, Why South Africa needs a Universal Basic Income Grant. Available at: https://www.newframe.com/why-south-africa-needs-a-universal-basic-income-grant/
- Ivor Chipkin and Jelena Vidojević, Universal Basic Income Grant: When nothing is affordable, we had better choose the best unaffordable solution. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-04-29-universal-basic-income-grant-when-nothing-is-affordable-we-had-better-choose-the-best-unaffordable-solution/