Co-Founder and Director
Johannesburg, South Africa
Ivor Chipkin is the Director of the Government and Public Policy (GAPP) Think Tank, based in Johannesburg. He was the founder and director of the Public Affairs Research Institute (PARI) at the University of the Witwatersrand and the University of Cape Town for ten years before that. In 2017 Chipkin, with several colleagues, wrote and released the Betrayal of the Promise report, a study of state capture that had a huge political impact in South Africa. Chipkin completed his PhD at the Ecole Normale Superieure in France, where he also did his DEA. Chipkin was an Oppenheimer Fellow at Oxford University. He is the author of Do South Africans Exist? (WUP: 2007) and Shadow State: the politics of state capture with Mark Swilling (WUP: 2018). His new book, The Shattered Vessel, is due out in 2023.
- Chipkin, I (submitted for review). Democracy is not the only game in town. Elite Contestation and the Future of South Africa, Journal of Southern African Studies.
- Chipkin, I. (2022) ‘Why Has State Capture Not Led To Growth and Development As It Did In China?’ in New Agenda: South African Journal of Social and Economic Policy. Issue 86.
- Chipkin, I. Swilling, M. (2022). Article en accès gratuit jusqu’au 05/06 sur. Journal Naqd, 40 pp. 162-195. Available from: https://www.cairn.info/tap-crq1ngi83n38h
- Chipkin, I. Vidojevic, J. (2021). Time and Temporality in Organisations: the case of Eskom. Development Southern Africa, DOI: 10.1080/0376835X.2021.1981829.
- Chipkin, I (2021). The Dark side of Democracy Popular Sovereignty, Decolonisation and Dictatorship. POLITIČKE PERSPEKTIVE, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp 61- 78.
- Chipkin, I. (2021). From democracy as a political system to democracy as government: a contribution to democratic theory from public administration. Transformation Journal, vol 105, pp. 1-25.
- Haffajee, F and Chipkin, I (2022). Zondo and the Topography of Power. Maverick Publishers.
- Chipkin, I.(forthcoming in 2022) Coups and Democratic Emergencies Crime, Organisation and Policing in South Africa Today. GAPP and the Global Initiative on Transnational Organised Crime.
- Chipkin, I. Le Roux, M. and Leite, R (2022) Personalising and Depersonalising Power. The Appointment of Executive Officers in Key State Institutions. GAPP Report. Johannesburg: Government and Public Policy Think Tank.
- Chipkin, I. Vidojević, J. with Rau, L. Saksenberg, D. (2022). Dangerous Elites: Protest, Conflict and the Future of South Africa. Institute for Security Studies. Available at: https://issafrica.s3.amazonaws.com/site/uploads/sar-49-2.pdf
- Chipkin, I. (2021) Making Sense of State Capture in South Africa Chipkin, I. with Moloi, P. Lehola, P. Yako, P. Ajam, T. Khumalo, B. (2021). The Governance of Economic Planning. GAPP Report. Johannesburg: Government and Public Policy Think Tank.
- Jelena Vidojević and Ivor Chipkin, Breaking Eskom’s Death Spiral: the answer is in the data. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-10-31-breaking-eskoms-death-spiral-the-answers-in-the-data/
- Ivor Chipkin and Jelena Vidojević, Why South Africa needs a Universal Basic Income Grant. Available at: https://www.newframe.com/why-south-africa-needs-a-universal-basic-income-grant/
- Ivor Chipkin and Jelena Vidojević, Universal Basic Income Grant: When nothing is affordable, we had better choose the best unaffordable solution. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-04-29-universal-basic-income-grant-when-nothing-is-affordable-we-had-better-choose-the-best-unaffordable-solution/
- Chipkin, I. and Leite, Rafael. (25 October 2022). ‘After State Capture: How To Reform the South African State’ in Politicsweb, Available at: https://www.politicsweb.co.za/opinion/its-time-to-rebuild
- Chipkin, I. and Leite, Rafael, L. (25 October 2022). ‘How Do We Make Sure That State Capture Never Happens Again?’ in Media 24, available at: https://www.news24.com/news24/opinions/analysis/analysis-ivor-chipkin-and-rafael-leite-how-do-we-make-sure-state-capture-never-happens-again-20221025
- Chipkin, I. (16 October 2022). ‘If China Can Make Corruption Work In Its Favour, Why Not South Africa?’ in Sunday Times, Available at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/sunday-times/opinion-and-analysis/opinion/2022-10-16-if-china-can-make-corruption-work-in-its-favour-why-not-south-africa/
- Chipkin, I. (11 October 2022). ‘The Idea of South Africa is Blowing in the Wind’ in Daily Maverick, https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2022-10-11-nationalism-and-south-africa-we-are-in-the-middle-of-an-epochal-change/
- Chipkin, I. (30 June 2022). ‘Holding the Bureaucratic Line’ in Financial Mail , available at: https://www.businesslive.co.za/fm/opinion/on-my-mind/2022-06-30-ivor-chipkin-holding-the-bureaucratic-line/